text only
Home Index Search Directories Faq

Home >> FAQ
Application Process
Am I eligible?
To be eligible for Federal Student Financial Aid at USA, you must:
  • Be a U.S. citizen or an eligible non-citizen.
  • Be accepted for admission and admitted to an eligible degree-seeking or certificate-seeking program at USA.
  • Be enrolled for at least the minimum course load required for the requested aid program. All loan programs (including alternative loans) require an enrollment of at least halftime. Audit classes do not count.
  • Meet and maintain all requirements under the USA Satisfactory Academic Progress Policy.
  • Not be in default on a prior student loan or owe a repayment on any Title IV aid.
  • Be registered for Selective Service if you are a male at least 18 years old who was born after January 1, 1979.
When should I apply for financial aid?
You must apply for financial aid every year. The best time to apply is as soon as possible after January 1 and before the end of March for the following school year (fall, winter & spring & summer terms).
How do I apply for financial aid?
The best way to submit your FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) is on the Internet at www.fafsa.ed.gov. If you have a PIN number from the Department of Education, you can do a renewal FAFSA on the Internet. You can request a PIN on-line at www.pin.ed.gov. Another option to complete the FAFSA is by completing a paper application, available at most high schools.
What is your federal school code?
The federal school code for USA is 001057. To find others, check on-line at www.fafsa.ed.gov and then select "Find My School Codes".
I don't live with my parents, they don't claim me on their tax returns, and they don't give me any financial support. Do I still have to put down their information on my application?
If you cannot answer YES to any question in the "Step Three" section of the FAFSA, you MUST include parent information. Parent information is required in these cases because the federal government has decided paying for the cost of education is the responsibility of the student and the student's parents until the student can answer YES to any one question in "Step Three".
I already filed my application, but now I'm married. Can I be considered independent now?
Your marital status for financial aid purposes is determined on the day you applied for financial aid. So, if you included parent information on your application, their information will be included for that aid year.
My step-parent is not willing to support me. Do I have to list his/her income under the parent section?
Yes, if your supporting parent is remarried, you must include his/her spouse's information on the FAFSA.
I live with my grandparents/other relatives/guardians who support me. Should I report their income on my FAFSA instead of my parents?
No, you must list your parents' information under the parent section. If unusual circumstances exist, you may want to check with your financial aid office before submitting your FAFSA.

The school is asking for a copy of my tax transcript.  How do I obtain a copy?

You can obtain a copy of your tax transcript at www.irs.gov. From that site, in the Online Services section of the homepage click “Order a Tax Return or Account Transcript”. Next, click “Order a RETURN Transcript” and follow the instructions through the process. If successfully validated, you should receive your request within 5 to 10 days.
The school is asking for verification of my Selective Service System registration. I don't have anything. What should I do?
You must contact Selective Service System at www.sss.gov or 1-847-688-6888 to verify your registration. If it is determined you haven't yet registered and you are between the ages of 18 and 25 you must do so. If you are not registered and you are over 26 years of age, you need to request a status letter from Selective Service System and provide a copy of that to our office.
The school is asking for verification of my Selective Service System registration and I'm female. What should I do?
You can provide a written statement to our office indicating that you are female and not required to register with Selective Service System. Be sure to include your full name and social security number on the statement before you sign and submit it.
I've already submitted my FAFSA, but I need to make some changes. How should I make them?
If you have your PIN number from the Department of Education, you can make your changes on-line at www.fafsa.ed.gov. Click on "Make Corrections to a Processed FAFSA". If you have a Student Aid Report, you can make the corrections on that and mail it to the Department of Education.
I've already submitted my FAFSA, but I need to add a school. How do I do that?
If you have your PIN number from the Department of Education, you add a school on-line at www.fafsa.ed.gov. If you have your Student Aid Report, you may call the Department of Education at 1-800-433-3243. Give them your name, social security number, the DRN number and transaction number off your SAR (in the upper right corner of the front page), and the name of the school you want to have added to your FAFSA. If you no longer have your SAR, you may also call to request a duplicate.
I haven't heard from the Financial Aid Office at USA. Why?
All financial aid students at USA must be accepted for admission before your financial aid award will be processed. If you haven't applied to USA, visit the Admissions Office. If you have been admitted or readmitted to USA but haven't heard from the Financial Aid Office, you should check your mailing address. You can check your address on PAWS. You can also check the status of your application on PAWS.
How long will it take before I get my Award letter?
It may take 8-10 weeks after you complete your file at USA before you'll find out what aid you're eligible to receive. Ensure the fastest processing time by turning in all requested information timely.
Is it too late to apply for financial aid?
You can apply for financial aid anytime during the current school year as long as the school receives a valid FAFSA from the federal processor before the last day of the current school year. However, some funding is limited and/or may not be available when your award is finalized.

USA Financial Aid
All of USA

© 2013 University of South Alabama - Mobile Alabama 36688-0002 /
1 (800) 305-6828 (financial aid inquiries only)
For questions or comments Contact Us

Date last changed: July 26, 2013 11:39 AM
USA Homepage